This is such a beautiful pan inside and out that I couldn't wait to test it after having taken Saber's 5-ply stainless skillet for a spin earlier. Both pieces are part of Saber's 5-ply stainless steel cookware set.
Saber Professional Grade 5-Ply Stainless Steel Saucepan
Saber® 5-Ply stainless steel 1.5 qt saucepan with lid, from their 11-pc cookware set
- Highly polished food grade stainless steel
- Handcrafted 5-ply stainless steel construction
- NSF Certified (has been independently tested and approved after meeting the most strenuous industry standards)
- Encapsulated base (layers in between are a tri-ply sandwich of two layers of aluminum around a core of stainless)
- Superior heat distribution
- Made for all cooking surfaces including gas, electric ranges and cooktops, oven and broiler, EXCEPT magnetic induction
- Saucepan has aluminum rivets with stainless caps
- Capacity is engraved (not etched) on the bottom
- Solid cast handles for longevity and durability
- Safe to use with all utensils; can go from stovetop to table
- Dishwasher safe but hand washing is recommended
- Lifetime warranty
- MSRP: $349.99 for the 11-pc cookware set
How the Cookware Performed
The pan has a nice overall profile, is well balanced and the lid sits very well on the pan. Some measurements are included in the interior: 1L, 0.5L and 1Qt, 0.5Qt, which is helpful when following a recipe. The interior as well as the exterior are food-grade stainless that has a highly polished sheen - this is a very nice saucepan.
The solid handle is comfortable and there is a hole at the end for those who want to hang it on a pot rack. It also has a nice flat and smooth bottom, and is gentle on a smoothtop ceramic range.
During testing, this saucepan performed extremely well with very even heat distribution. I love the slightly curved (interior) design in the bottom, which makes it so easy to efficiently stir or whisk contents.
I used this pan exclusively over several days, to simmer vegetables and cook a variety of foods, but I was also very eager to try delicate sauces in it. I was impressed with how well it performed, as well as how custards and cream sauces simmered without sticking or scorching.
I was initially concerned about using a heavier pan due to the five ply construction, but I managed the weight difference very well. However, this certainly could be a consideration for some, especially when it comes to the larger pots of this cookware set.
Cleaning this saucepan was a breeze due to the highly polished stainless. The manufacturer recommends not using their 5-ply cookware on high heat. Also note that stainless steel interiors can discolor slightly with use, but the gleam can be restored with a stainless cookware cleaner. The manufacturer advises using EZ Brite® cleaner for their cookware. During testing, there was no such discoloration. Pan should be cooled before washing.
Overall, I loved cooking with this saucepan and it quickly became my go-to pan with a practical capacity I use every day for different foods. I would love to have the full cookware set, it is that nice to cook with and I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for 5-ply stainless steel cookware.