If you are tired of lugging your bulky step-ladders to match your attic height, this is high time to switch to a light-weighted extendable ladder which is easier to store, convenient to transport, safer to use and, best of all, can be set to the required configuration due to its portable, compact and flexible design.
However, with an array of these telescopic or other extendable ladders available in the market, featuring a range of functions, and varied prices, the chore of buying one for you can be quite cumbersome. So how will you know which is the best extendable ladder?
In this extendable ladder review, you will find the top 9 extendable ladders in the market. This list certainly is going to help you make an informed buying decision, not to be regretted later.
- 1 The 9 Best extendable ladders
- 1.1 1. Ohuhu 12.5 FT Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 1.2 Features
- 1.3 2. Louisville Ladder FE3224 Fiberglass Extension Ladder
- 1.4 3. Xtend & Climb Pro Series 785P+ Telescoping Ladder
- 1.5 4. Little Giant 22-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
- 1.6 5. Bowoshen16.5FT Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder
- 1.7 6. Luisladders 15.5 Feet Aluminum Multi-Purpose Extendable Ladder
- 1.8 7. Luisladders Aluminum Telescoping Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 1.9 8. Finether 15.4ft Telescoping Ladder
- 1.10 9. DeWalt DXL3020-16PT 16-Feet Fiberglass Extension Ladder
- 2 Buying Guide for Light-weighted Extendable Ladders
- 3 FAQs
The 9 Best extendable ladders
1. Ohuhu 12.5 FT Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder
Crafted out of quality aluminum alloy, this ladder is convenient to carry, light in its weight, yet sturdy enough to withstand 330 lb.
Be it as low a task as to hang a painting on a door or as seriously high as to clean the ceiling, Ohuhu 12.5 ft will get the job done for you in no time, as an agile keeper.
- A premium quality extension mechanism
- Extends up to 12.5″ effortlessly
- Locking pins to ensure that it doesn’t slide back
- Heavy-duty carrying strap to pack into a compact size
- It has a sturdy build.
- Its closure is easy with the push of a button.
- Its steps are made wide for safety.
- A slight flex is reported by a few consumers while climbing.
2. Louisville Ladder FE3224 Fiberglass Extension Ladder
Hailing from the trusted Louisville lineup of extension ladders, FE3234 is one of the best extendable ladder exceeds your expectations with its stand-out feature, pulley, and rope, which extends the ladder in no time,
Much to your relief, this ladder can be easily carried around the house without requiring anybody’s help, owing to its lightweight material composition, making it the most lightweight extendable ladder in this list.
However, it being light doesn’t translate into compromised quality. It is composed of premium quality material which makes it really robust.
In terms of safety, it takes special care that you don’t slip while mounting up. It projects all the landing surfaces with Mar-Resistant Rail End Caps. Moreover, its Steel Swivel Safety Shoe with Metal shield gives it a firm footing on the floor, making sure you are safe.
What makes me fall for this ladder is its elegance, oozing from every inch. In sum, its well-built body, lightweight and stability make it a worth buying extendable ladder
- 300lb. weight capacity
- Composed of non-conductive fiberglass
- D-shaped rungs
- mar-resistant rail End Caps
- It manages quite a weight and is heavy-duty.
- It ensures all the trusted safety features.
- Its looks are elegant.
- It doesn’t have a tool-track.
- No rustproof feature incorporated.
3. Xtend & Climb Pro Series 785P+ Telescoping Ladder
This extendable ladder can blow one’s mind up by how tall it extends!
The Xtend & Climb Pro Series 785P+ extendable Telescoping Ladder grows up to 15.5″ which makes the tallest height in light-weighted extendable ladders currently available out there.
Since it is primarily designed to cater to the needs of commercial contractors and serious DIY’ers, it is manufactured with airplane grade aluminum alloy which instills in it a massive strength.
However, it is equally efficient to do home chores as it is light weighted.
Equally easy to compress back after the job is done, Xtend & Climb 785P will not bite much space in your store due to its compact design and the integrated closure strap.
True, that it is a bit pricey, however, being sturdy, efficient, light weighted and user friendly, it justifies every penny invested in its purchase. Also, it will prove itself to be a faithful partner for almost a decade.
- Aerospace engineered
- Smooth closure with Angled Thumb Release
- Clean Touch Anodized finish for easy cleaning
- 12.5ft working height
- It well caters to commercial needs
- It provides the ultimate ease of use
- It lasts longer than its counterparts
- Its compact size makes storage easier
- The matte finish makes cleaning easier
- It is incredibly safe to climb and carry
- The instruction manual could be worked upon.
- The top cover could be added for protection.
4. Little Giant 22-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
You cannot simply pass by Little Giant 22-Foot Extension Ladder by tagging it with ‘just another extendable ladder’, as the degree of stability it guarantees is not to be found in any of its counterparts. And, this is what makes it a great tool to have at home.
Apart from this, two more features make it stand from the crowd. Firstly, it is truly a two-person ladder; and secondly, its Velocity Multi-Use which provides you 22 feet of reach.
However, this gigantic extension should not make you feel concerned about its storage, as it shrinks itself to a mere 5.7″ tall pole to be cornered in your tiny attic.
- 300lb weight capacity
- Non-slip footing
- Approved by safety standards EN131
- Palm and Hinge Tripple Locking system
- It has a self-explanatory manual
- It is light in weight
- It has non-slip feet
- It is budget-friendly
- It cannot sustain much pressure and falls with ease
5. Bowoshen16.5FT Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder
Is Bowoshen 16.5 FT worth all the hype numerous consumers have created on various buying sites?
My answer would be a big YES! Due mainly to its two well-thought-of features:
The first being its independent locking system, which is missing in many of its predecessors! This unique system incorporated in this ladder allows you to adjust the ladder height to customized needs and lock the rungs there.
The second feature lauded by users is its anti-slip rubber-tipped feet and an additional support bar. Both go a long way to make your operations super safe.
In sum, owing to the durability, stability, practicality, ease of use, and functionality, I am sure I am not alone falling for this.
- Collapses into handy 2.8ft
- Independent locking for rungs
- Ergonomically designed
- Solid anti-slip rubber feet
- This extendable ladder opens up to 16.5 ft
- Can withstand 330 lb
- An Independent locking latch system makes it safe
- Its ease of use ensures buyers’ convenience
- No warranty is provided with the package
6. Luisladders 15.5 Feet Aluminum Multi-Purpose Extendable Ladder
True to its name, it’s a versatile ladder and can be used as a leaner, scaffolder, a step ladder, and an extension.
The good news is that its being multi-purpose doesn’t make it complicated for the users. It is easy to set to its different applications, and in case of any trouble, you can always get to the self-explanatory instruction manual delivered with the package.
Glad to tell you that its proud manufacturer didn’t compromise on the quality while offering multiple features.
In sum, this light-weighted extended ladder is a robust pack worth your hard-earned bucks.
- Conforms to EN131 standards
- Oversized security locks
- Composed of heavy-duty aircraft-grade aluminium
- 2 anti-slip scaffolding plates
- It provides versatility and can serve various purposes
- Its top-quality material makes it durable
- It ascertains customers’ safety
- Proves itself to be a lasting ladder
- This ladder is relatively expensive
7. Luisladders Aluminum Telescoping Telescopic Extension Ladder
Ever thought of getting your task done with a professional finish, without hiring a professional?
Luis Ladder Aluminum Telescopic ladder, with its easy access to various points, has made it possible for you.
It can be operated both indoors and outdoors with equal ease. With the maximum length of 12.5 ft, it proves itself to be extremely practical in the majority of situations, for instance, home repairs, exterior and interior decoration, panes cleaning, and creeper hangings.
Its premium quality composition makes its maintenance just a breeze. Its finely polished surface requires only minimum cleanup.
- Comes with non-slip grip
- Conforms to European Safety Standard EN131
- Made from corrosion-resistant premium quality aluminium alloy
- Dual coupling on every rung
- It can easily handle 330 lb
- They are crafted out of top-quality aluminium
- It is versatile in its use
- This extendable ladder ensures the consumer’s safety
- Its manual could have been worked upon a bit
8. Finether 15.4ft Telescoping Ladder
Uniquely crafted out of light-weighted aluminium alloy, this ladder is shipped with two walking panels which aid you to stand balanced and focus on work with complete freedom of movement.
With its three elbows, you can place this ladder anywhere you want to. Its two extra rolling wheels make its transportation quite easy.
It makes about 15.5″ when opened to its full length.
My verdict! Be it cherry-picking, exterior decorating, or wall painting, Finether 15.4ft Telescoping Ladder will prove itself to be a robust and lasting companion. An extendable ladder couldn’t be made better really!
- Completely extendable dimensions
- Certified by European safety standards EN 131
- Has non-slip feet to perform worry-free operations
- Folds itself to 4 ft for easy storage
- Its premium quality material is rustproof.
- It is a durable ladder to last a decade.
- The company provides friendly customer service.
- It comes with a 12 months warranty
No con is reported to its credit at the time of writing this review.
9. DeWalt DXL3020-16PT 16-Feet Fiberglass Extension Ladder
Its vibrant yellow colour makes any discerning eye identify that this extendable telescopic ladder is from DeWalt, the manufacturers who have carved their name in the tool industry for providing efficient and durable tools.
Living up to the fame attached to its name, DXL3020-16PT outperforms its counterparts with its 300 lb. load capacity and renders a productive working experience to contractors and serious DIY homeowners.
Concerned with consumer’s safety, it gives a protected elevation during electrical, utilitarian, and residential tasks.
Overall, this feature-laden ladder is worth your money.
- Its DXL3020-16PT ensures hazard free and stable operations
- The top has the slip-resistant rubber tread
- Lasting V-shaped top having Tool Slots
- The wrap-round and heavy-duty swivel aluminium gives it extra support
- It comes with a Rung Lock with a quick latch.
- Its premium quality build makes it sturdy.
- It addresses commercial requirements.
- The matte surface makes it withstand the elements.
- This extendable ladder comes with a tool tray
- This could be made a bit lighter in weight
- It asks you to open your wallet a bit wider
Buying Guide for Light-weighted Extendable Ladders
The following considerations must be kept in mind while buying an extendable ladder:
First off, it is always advisable to go for the one manufactured by a renowned brand, as many off-brands in the market produce low-quality extendable ladders which may break a few months down the line.
Precisely, unless you are an electrician or you need to use your ladder on tasks that require contact with electricity, an extendable aluminum ladder is a great option for you as it is sturdier, lighter in weight and more versatile. Otherwise, you are emphatically advised to choose the one made up of fiberglass, which is relatively pricey but safe, being unconducive to electricity.
Ideally, go for the one which says, 3 feet more than your required length as it is collapsible and the slightly larger than needed size will not put you in trouble. However, there isn’t any need to settle for an oversized extendable ladder if you are going to use it for residential purposes only.
Put simply, make sure the ladder you buy can bear yours as well as the weight of tools you carry along with you.
It should concern especially the urban dwellers with small-sized storage places. If so, you are recommended the one which collapses itself to the tiniest possible size so that you don’t have to fret about its storage.
Make sure the extendable ladder you are buying has features like hand grip and foot caps and wide-angle so that you may stay safe during operations.
Not a sizable investment!
However, you don’t want your budget to be disrupted, so choose the one which fits your budget.
If the price isn’t an issue for you, go for the one which is of top quality and richly featured. I assure you, once invested in; it will prove itself to be a faithful partner for decades.
Q1. What is an extendable ladder?
Extendable ladders are alternatives for conventional single-step ladders. They are lighter in weight as the majority of them are built with high-quality aluminium. The ladder has various foldable or overlapping sections that can be slid inward and outward. You can unfold it according to your requirement. They can be folded back into a compact size which makes them easier to store and transport.
Q2. Are extendable ladders safe?
Yes, they are quite safe as long as you use them correctly. Be warned not to burden your extended ladder more than its load capacity. You should calculate it as your weight plus the weight of anything you take up with you. Be meticulously cautious while compressing the ladder back lest you should get your fingers crushed in.
Q3. How do extendable ladders work?
Since extendable ladders are made of multiple tubes with the gradual decrease in diameters, they are inserted into one another in such a way that the tube with a smaller diameter can effortlessly slide through the one with slightly increasing diameter. These tubes are called rungs in terms of ladder industry. And once the ladder is extended, these rungs can be secured at the place with the help of locking mechanisms.
Q4. Do extendable ladders have to be fully extended?
No, they don’t have to be fully extended. They can rather be adjusted to the height required to perform a particular function. In fact, this is what extendable ladders are basically built for. A few can be locked at every foot while others lock at pre-ordained gaps within.
Q5. How may I store my extendable ladder?
Your extendable ladder is completely collapsible and folds itself back into its shell when you finish your work. Most of the extendable ladders currently available in the market come with a heavy-duty strap and storage bags, which make it easier to pack and store.
Buying the best extendable ladder is a smart investment, given the ease of use, storage, transport, and safety it provides to consumers.
However, choosing a ‘just-right’ extendable ladder is quite a job with a multitude of them available in the market.
All you need to do is to narrow your choices down to a few from my well-researched list so that you may step into the market informed and be less vulnerable to rise to the dealers’ bait.